Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What I am reading now

The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan is a collection of stories and essays written by Marina Keegan who was tragically killed in a car crash just 5 days after her graduation from Yale in May 2012. Marina was a rising star. She had a play that was to be produced at the New York International Fringe Festival and a job waiting for her at the New Yorker. Her last essay for the Yale Daily News, "The Opposite of Loneliness" went viral, receiving more than 1.4 million hits. Her words struck a chord, and that, and her other writings are now assembled here for all to enjoy and digest. My first impression, other than the fact that this young woman was taken way too soon, is that she was incredibly gifted as a writer. I cannot wait to finish the book, and I hope that the rest of it is as good as the first 1/4 that I have already finished.