Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Book 9 of my reading challenge

"An Invisible Thread:  The true story of an 11-year-old panhandler, a busy sales executive, and an unlikely meeting with destiny"


It's quite a title.  It's quite a story.

I picked up this book thinking it would be a straight forward "feel-good" story.  I also liked the fact that a portion of the proceeds from the royalties of the book would go to  "NoKidHungry.org".

What I didn't expect was the way I would feel when I finished the book.  Love.  Pride...pride in the fact that a human showed so much kindness and love to a stranger, and not just any stranger, a young, black child who had nothing, where the author had so much, and was white.  So much could have gone wrong after their meeting, but it didn't.  

Laura's influence on Maurice truly shows as you finish the book, and read the letter he wrote her about how she saved him.  But, this isn't a story about how she helped him, but also how he helped her.

I finished this a short time before I have to go to work, and there are tears in my eyes.  It is a beautiful story.