Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I will remember you...

Sometimes memories come crashing down on me.  They can be quite overwhelming at times but often they can be peaceful.  

The memories can hit me at random times throughout the day, or they come in my sleep.  A song can play on the radio, that makes me pause for a moment and reflect on who or what it reminds me of.

Maybe I'm Amazed; You are My Sunshine and The Climb (Miley Cyrus) are three songs that stir up memories.  The Climb was the favorite song of my late niece and it was played at her funeral.  It's been 4 years since her death and I still cannot listen to that song without crying.  It's not so bad anymore since the song isn't played on the radio as much.  Depending on where I am I may just turn it off when it comes on, but sometimes I listen all the way through.  While it makes me cry, it brings me comfort.  It makes me think of Carly and her beautiful smile and how she touched our lives.

I read a quote this morning, "Memories warm you up from the inside, but they also tear you apart" (Haruki Murakami) and I totally get it.  But, without memories, what do we have?  People come in and out of our lives.  Sometimes, they are meant to be in your life forever, but sometimes, they are meant to be there for only a short time.  When I remember these people, I smile, because they each brought something to my life that I needed at the time.  Sometimes, I admit, I didn't appreciate them the way I should have, and maybe pushed them away, but despite that, their mere presence in my life I will not forget.

It's something to think about anyway.

That's my thought for today.