Sunday, August 14, 2016

"Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome: A Memoir of Humor and Healing" by Reba Riley

Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome: A Memoir of Humor and HealingPost-Traumatic Church Syndrome: A Memoir of Humor and Healing by Reba Riley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While the reviews of this book were very mixed, the title captured my attention, as did the description. "Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome" is about the reality of spiritual injury and the path to healing. This book is NOT fiction, but is instead the author's story of her journey to healing, both physical and spiritual. Her "thirty by thirty" quest to experience thirty religions by her thirtieth birthday, were somewhat awkward, but yet inspiring and makes you think about your own faith. "You have to be lost in order to be found" and this is what Reba discovers, while checking out other religions, but also going back to the religion she was raised in (and fled from) before the found healing, and peace.

I laughed and I cried, and this book made me think about my own religious journey in life thus far. While I don't feel I could have PTCS, I definitely can understand how Reba felt.

I recommend this book to all of my friends, regardless of your religion and spiritual path. Read it with an open heart, and an open mind.

Book club discussion questions are included at the back of the book.

View all my reviews