Thursday, December 29, 2016

Goodbye 2016...Hello 2017

For me, I cannot say that 2016 has been particularly good or bad.  It's definitely brought changes into our lives, but that's to be expected.

But, as a whole, the world seems to be in a bit more turmoil, and since we can't get a do-over (and I don't particularly want one either), then we need to start fresh.

I try to keep my political views to myself.  I've watched too much ugliness this year over it.  People I respected have said hateful, ugly things...and it's like everyone has forgotten what it means to be human.  Too much social media perhaps?  Too many people feel like they can now say whatever it is they feel without worry of the consequences?   I'm not real sure, but I do not like it.  I am very glad my children are not so young that I need to explain to them about why it is wrong to call names...why calling someone an idiot/redneck/deplorable/racist/and whatever other word is thrown out there is wrong.  Are we all really so perfect that we have to put others down?  I know I am not.  Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean you are ignorant...or whatever the word of choice is.  I was called an idiot..not specifically, but had someone I went to school with post on facebook that all nameyourpoliticalparttyhere were idiots.  Really?    Just because we don't agree with you?  I mean, seriously, how boring would the world be if every single human in the world had the same view on everything?  Yeah....it would really suck!

Anyway...this year we lost a lot of celebrities....great ones at that, but millions of people all over the world died, without a single mention in the news.  US Troops died; children died; average beautiful people died...what makes one person more newsworthy than another?  Yes, I was saddened at David Bowie's passing and Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds and Prince, but I was even more saddened to learn of a young, single mom, losing her battle with cancer; or the little boy killed sitting in the back of his grandmother's car, because the gunman had road rage and was mad because the grandmother was not driving as fast as he wanted her too.  Seriously, what is wrong with people?

I've missed my mom still....I didn't realize just how often grief hits you out of the blue....how a perfectly good day can turn around into the kind of day that leaves you ugly crying in the locked bathroom.  And my family thinks I have lost my mind, and I cannot possibly explain why I started to cry. I just did.  For no reason whatsoever.

I missed my reading goals for the year.  And not by a few books...but a LOT of books.  Meh.  So, I reset the goal again in 2017 and start over.  Don't dwell on it.  Just try to do better.

I have a goal to clean up my photobucket account, and upload the photos sitting on my laptop into that account so I can clean up my computer.  A goal.  One of many.  I used to think putting the goals in writing would help me get them done.  Nope.  It doesn't work.  You are either going to do it or you aren't.  If it's a legitimate goal, I feel like it's going to stick in your brain, like the knowledge that you need nourishment to sustain you...your goals should be a natural part of your life.  Or, I could be wrong, again.  It doesn't really matter though.  At the end of the day, what does matter is how you lived your life...what you did...not what you planned to do.  Did you make the world a better place?  Did you do something good? Help someone out?  Did you show kindness in your daily life?  How do you want to be remembered?  Do you want to be remembered as that person who had all the wealth in the world but was a complete asshole, or would you rather be remembered as someone who bought a meal for a homeless man?  Or offered to cut the grass of your elderly neighbor?

Anyway, I guess I have rambled on long enough...I think this is the longest entry I have made in a while!  Hey, GO ME!

Happy New Year to you. May 2017 be a good one to you, and to us all, all over the world!